PLEASE READ CAREFULLY
1. The purchase/payment of any travel services offered by Group Voyagers, Inc., authorized to do business as Avalon Waterways, Monograms and Globus (herein after “Avalon”), constitutes a contractual arrangement between the Passenger (“you”) and Avalon, and represents your acceptance of the Avalon Terms & Conditions. You must be at least 18 years of age to make a booking. As the lead passenger, you accept, and confirm you have authority and consent to accept, these Avalon Terms & Conditions for yourself and all members of your traveling party.
2. Terms & Conditions are accurate at time of printing, and are subject to change prior to booking. You are advised to check on the websites or to request the latest version of the Terms & Conditions from your travel agent or Avalon prior to booking your vacation.
3. Payment of the deposit indicates you have read and accepted these Terms & Conditions. Your booking is not confirmed until the deposit is processed by Avalon and you receive a confirmation invoice.
4. A $250 non-refundable, non-transferable, per person, per vacation deposit is required to reserve space for you, with limited exceptions, as noted below.
EXCEPTIONS TO CRUISE DEPOSIT
5. The following exceptions apply to these vacations:
• For vacations on the Delfin III, the per person cruise deposit is $500.
• For vacations that include Oberammergau in 2020, the per person cruise deposit is $600.
CRUISE FINAL PAYMENT
6. Final payment for your vacation is due 90 days prior to commencement of services. Within the final payment date, payment in full is required at time of booking to reserve space. Reservations (land, cruise, and air) are canceled if final payment is not received by the due date; cancellation penalties apply, as noted below. For group reservations, travel agents should refer to the Group Policy, which will be provided to you by Avalon upon request and is also located on the Travel Agent Portal.
7. You are responsible for verifying that everything on your invoice is accurate and complete, including dates of travel, options selected, and that each name matches the relevant passport. Avalon cannot accept responsibility if we are not notified of inaccuracies within 5 days of sending out the invoice. Changes are subject to the fees and penalties noted below. In the case of billing errors, Avalon reserves the right to re-invoice you with correct pricing.
FORM OF PAYMENT
8. Avalon accepts checks, money orders, Visa, MasterCard, Discover/Novus, and American Express.
SUBJECT TO CHANGE ITINERARIES
9. Vacation departures in 2021 are subject to itinerary modifications. Full details will be available in February 2020. Passengers have the right to cancel their reservation without penalty within 7 days of notification in the event of itinerary modifications for departures in 2021 prior to the release of the 2020 brochure. Vacations with Instant Purchase Air will receive full refunds for changes to vacations or vacation dates in 2021 with the release of the 2020 brochure, providing notification of cancellation is received within 7 days.
BOOKING CANCELLATIONS & CANCELLATION FEES
10. If a booking cancellation is received by Avalon prior to the final payment date of your vacation, your non-refundable cruise deposit and Travel Protection payments will be retained in addition to your Flex-Air deposit, Instant Purchase Air payment and service fee, and/or intra-vacation air deposit or payment.
11. For individual reservations, the following per person cancellation fees apply for cancellations within final payment date. Total price does not include discounts, promotions, or special incentives. (For group reservations, refer to the Group Policy.)
12. Travel Protection payments are always non-refundable once purchased, and will be added to the cancellation fees noted below.
STANDARD CANCELLATION FEES
• 90-60 days prior to commencement of services: 35% of total price*
• 59-30 days prior to commencement of services: 50% of total price*
• 29-1 days prior to commencement of services: 80% of total price*
• On departure day and later: 100% of total price*
13. *Total price does not include any Instant Purchase Air or Instant Purchase Air service fees, which are non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase.
14. Cancellation fees may also apply to any additional services, including extra night accommodations, independently supplied services, and optional excursions reserved prior to, during, and after the tour. If flight changes, including but not limited to flight cancellations or name changes, are requested after full cruise and air deposits are received, revision fees, change fees, or airline cancellation fees will apply (see “Revision Fees” below). In many instances, airline revision or change fees can be up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Cancellation penalties will be quoted at time of cancellation.
YOUNG PASSENGER RESTRICTIONS & DISCOUNTS
15. Passengers who are under 18 years old on the departure date must be accompanied by an adult throughout the vacation, and are requested to share an adult’s accommodation. There are no connecting staterooms on Avalon Waterways. Children under 8 years of age are not allowed on any Avalon vacation. For any special requirements regarding airline tickets for children, contact your airline directly.
16. There are no discounts for young passengers on Avalon cruise vacations.
17. Avalon Asia vacations with intra-vacation air have a baggage weight limit of 44 lbs (20kg) per person. Baggage over this limit will incur additional fees, which are not included in the vacation price and are payable to the airline directly at the airport.
18. Airfare may be purchased through Avalon for travel originating from the United States. All carriers are independent operators and are not owned, managed, or operated by Avalon. Your airline ticket is a contract between you and the air carrier only, even if you purchase through Avalon. By purchasing your air services through Avalon, you waive all liability for Avalon for such air services.
19. Avalon is not responsible if an airline cancels, reschedules, or delays a flight for any reason. If you purchased air through Avalon, we will try to assist in making new arrangements, providing you have not already checked in with your airline for your first flight segment. After check-in, you must work with the airline directly to reach your destination or to make any alternate arrangements, including amendments to return services. Airline fees often apply for modifications to air schedules not related to airline-imposed flight cancellations, reschedules, or delays. These fees will be payable to the airline directly at time of request.
20. If you miss your departure flight or connection, it is your responsibility to work with the airline on which you are ticketed to reach your destination. No refunds will be provided by Avalon for portions of trips missed due to canceled, rescheduled, or delayed flights after airport check-in, nor is Avalon responsible for any additional expenses you may incur prior to joining your trip if you miss your departure flight or flight connection.
21. For air purchased through Avalon, if any air schedule requires an overnight stay in a gateway city, Avalon can assist you with hotel reservations; however, the cost of the overnight stay (including but not limited to hotel and meals) is your expense. Air routings are subject to availability. Routings are not guaranteed and are subject to change at any time.
22. If you make your own flight arrangements, Avalon will not be responsible for any loss resulting from cancellation or changes in international gateways, itineraries, or travel dates. 23. We recommend that you do not purchase airline tickets with high penalty charges for changes.
24. Flex-Air and Instant Purchase Air: Flex-Air allows flexibility if you want to make changes to your vacation schedule; Instant Purchase Air may offer additional airline options but has more restrictions. Some vacations may only offer one air option.
AIR-INCLUSIVE VACATIONS & FINAL PAYMENT
25. Additional deposits or payments are required for international air added to the start and/or end of your vacation and/or for intra-vacation air, as specified in the itinerary (“air-inclusive vacations”). Air-inclusive vacation pricing is guaranteed upon receipt of full cruise plus air deposit or cruise deposit plus full airfare price, depending on type of airfare purchased (Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air).
26. Flex-Air: A $300 non-refundable, non-transferable, per person air deposit is required at time of booking a Flex-Air air-inclusive vacation package. Applicable cruise deposit, as above, is also required at time of booking. Once ticketed, cancel/change penalties of at least $300 per person up to 100% of the air price will apply.
27. Instant Purchase Air: Full air payment plus a non-refundable service fee ($30 per person North and Central America, $50 per person Europe/Middle East, and $80 per person for all other international destinations) is required, and will be included in the quote, at time of booking for Instant Purchase Air booked in conjunction with an Avalon vacation. Applicable cruise deposit, as above, is also required at time of booking. Once booked, Instant Purchase Air is non-changeable and non-refundable after 24 hours from purchase.
28. Air-inclusive packages (Flex or Instant Purchase) are only available from the United States.
29. Intra-Vacation Air: Intra-vacation air may be Flex-Air or Instant Purchase Air and will be advised at time of booking. For intra-vacation Flex-Air, an additional $250 per person, non- refundable, non-transferable air deposit is required. For intra-vacation Instant Purchase Air, full air payment plus a non-refundable service fee ($30 per person North/Central America, $50 per person Europe/Middle East, and $80 per person for all other international destinations) is required, and will be included with the quote, at time of booking for intra-vacation Instant Purchase Air booked in conjunction with an Avalon vacation. Applicable cruise and Flex-Air deposits or Instant Purchase Air full payments, as above, are also required at time of booking.
30. Air-inclusive vacations include all taxes, fees, and fuel surcharges. These taxes and fees include:
• September 11th Security Fee up to $11.20 per person
• Passenger facility charges up to $18 per person
• Federal domestic flight segment fees up to $4.10 per segment
• All U.S. and international arrival and departure and other government-imposed fees added by the airlines and applicable at the time of booking
AUTHORITY TO REMOVE OR REFUSE PASSENGERS
31. In the sole discretion of Avalon or the Ship’s Operator or the captain, Avalon may refuse transport to any passenger or may require any passenger to disembark if it is reasonably believed that the passenger (1) is dangerous to others or to himself or herself; (2) has engaged in, is engaged in, or is threatening to engage in behavior that may adversely affect the safety, security, comfort, enjoyment, or well-being of other passengers or crew members, including, but not limited to, behavior that is disruptive, verbally abusive, physically abusive, obnoxious, harassing, discriminatory, or obscene; or (3) has failed or refused or is failing or refusing to following Avalon’s rules and procedures or the instructions of Avalon, its representatives, or the crew members. In the event a passenger is removed, such passenger may be left at any port or place the ship calls without any liability to Avalon or its representatives. Avalon shall not be required to refund any portion of the fare paid by any passenger who is removed under the terms of this paragraph, nor shall Avalon be responsible for expenses for lodging, medical care, meals, transportation, or any other expenses incurred by the passenger. Avalon shall be entitled to recover from the passenger any costs or expenses incurred by Avalon, its representatives, or the crew members in the removal of the passenger or the exercise or enforcement of this clause.
BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE & LIABILITY
32. Porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person is included in the vacation price. Airport/train station porterage is not included, unless otherwise specified in your Travel Documents. Be prepared to carry your own suitcase on and off airplanes and trains and through airports and train stations. Regulations within most airports require passengers to handle their own luggage through Immigration & Customs.
33. Your single bag should have dimensions not exceeding 30"x21"x11" and weight not exceeding 50lbs (22kg). We regret that we are unable to accept a second suitcase or any luggage exceeding these limits on any Avalon vacation outside of Europe. Some vacations have more restrictive regulations than those listed above. Refer to your Travel Documents for more information.
34. Air carrier restrictions may vary from the limitations listed above. Size and weight limitations for carry-on and checked baggage vary from airline to airline and even according to destination. While making an air-inclusive booking, you will be provided with baggage fee information. After booking an air-inclusive booking, up-to-date information on carrier-specific standard checked baggage allowance (including size and weight limitations), the standard allowance (and fee, if applicable) for carry-on baggage, and the standard fee for the first and second checked bag, along with the information about additional discounts that may apply depending on flyer-specific factors (e.g., frequent flyer status, military, credit card used for purchase, or early purchase over the Internet, etc.) can be found on the carrier’s website or by accessing iflybags.com. Avalon is not responsible for additional fees imposed by air carriers for baggage, and these fees are not included in the air-inclusive vacation price. You will be required to pay these fees directly to the airline at check-in.
35. No responsibility is accepted by Avalon for loss of or damage to baggage or any of the passenger’s belongings throughout the duration of the vacation. Passengers are strongly encouraged to not bring valuables such as jewelry and large amounts of cash. Any such valuables should not be left in baggage out of the control of the passenger. Baggage insurance is highly recommended. See the Avalon website for an all-inclusive Travel Protection plan.
36. Carry-on bags should not exceed the dimensions of 12"x11"x6". For safety reasons, wheeled carry-on bags are not suitable as hand luggage on motorcoaches and mini-buses. Carry-on bags must be small enough to store in overhead bins or under the seat in front of you on motorcoaches and other transportation.
37. Avalon reserves the right to cancel or reschedule any vacation departure for any reason, including insufficient demand or force majeure (see below). If a vacation is canceled prior to departure, Avalon’s only responsibility will be to refund the amount received for the reservation. Avalon will try to rebook the same vacation with a different departure date, or a similar vacation, but there is no guarantee of availability of offering. For air-inclusive vacations, Avalon will try to confirm air schedules for the selected new dates, subject to availability. Avalon cannot assume responsibility for any additional costs or any fees relating to the issuance and/or cancellation of air tickets or other travel arrangements not made through Avalon.
38. Some government agencies in foreign countries require Avalon to collect and pass on in advance of travel certain personal and other details related to you, including but not limited to government-issued identification and passport details. If you fail to supply the details, as requested, fully and accurately, your trip may be interrupted or canceled. There are no refunds for failure to provide documentation or failure to provide documentation by the time required.
39. We will use your personal data secured during your booking or during online check-in to process your booking with our suppliers. These details include your full name, address, date of birth, passport number and expiration date, occupation, credit/debit card information, and any disability, medical conditions, or dietary restrictions disclosed to Avalon for you and all in your traveling party.
40. It may be necessary to transfer these details to other countries or authorities whose data protection and privacy laws may be different than those of the United States. This may include requirements to pass details to our suppliers as well as certain governments or government-appointed bodies or agencies in the interest of security or because we are obliged to by law. By making a booking with Avalon, you agree to Avalon storing, using, and passing on this data to other third parties for reasons as stated above, and hold Avalon not liable for the usage and protection of that data.
EMERGENCY CONTACT DETAILS
41. All passengers must provide emergency contact details and passport or government issued ID information (when required) prior to travel. This includes a “Local” contact so that Avalon Waterways can get in touch with friends or family in the rare case of an emergency as well as an “On Tour” contact, i.e. mobile phone number or email address, for use by the Tour or Cruise Director. Emergency contact details can be provided through your travel agent or in your My.Avalonwaterways.com account.
42. All Cruise Directors, Local Hosts, Local Guides, and ships’ crews speak English, and all vacation commentary and instructions are conducted in English only. For your safety and enjoyment, you must be able to read, understand and speak English.
EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR CRUISE ITINERARY CHANGES, CANCELLATIONS & DOUBLE DOCKING
43. In the event of water level problems on stretches of any waterway, technical problems of any nature, severe weather, flooding, fire, drought, earthquake, explosion, peril of navigation, industrial action, civil unrest, war, government order or act, operational requirements, or any circumstances beyond the reasonable control of Avalon, it may be necessary to operate part or all of the itinerary by substitute vessel or motorcoach and hotel accommodation. Avalon reserves the right to change the itinerary whenever conditions, in the opinion of the Master of the Ship or local waterways regulations, render it advisable or necessary. In addition, river and other local authorities often need to carry out repair or maintenance work on the river or canal banks, stretches of river or canal, bridges, locks or docks, or other areas which may impede river cruise travel. This is frequently undertaken with little or no advance notice to river cruise operators, and can cause Avalon to make changes to the published itinerary or to operate part of the itinerary by substitute vessel or motorcoach and hotel accommodation with little to no advance notice. These events are beyond our control, and Avalon will not be responsible for any loss, expense, or inconvenience caused by reasons of such changes.
44. Docking positions at each port are assigned by local authorities, and river cruise companies have no control over where they can dock. This can sometimes result in double-docking, when more than one ship is assigned to the same dock and the ships are rafted together, temporarily obstructing the view. When double-docked you might be required to pass through another vessel to embark/disembark. Avalon Waterways will not be responsible for any inconvenience or injury sustained as a consequence of embarking or disembarking not under the direct control of Avalon Waterways reasons of such assignment.
45. Avalon reserves the right to cancel, advance, or postpone any scheduled tour and/or sailing date and may, but is not obligated to, substitute another vessel, and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to tour/cruise participants by reason of any such cancellation, advancement, or postponement. In the event of cancellation by Avalon, tour/cruise participants’ only right of recourse shall be to a refund of monies paid to Avalon in connection with such tour/cruise. In the event of charters of the vessels, strikes, lockouts, riots, or stoppage of labor for whatever cause or for any other reason whatsoever, Avalon may at any time cancel, advance, or postpone any scheduled sailing and may, but is not obliged to, substitute another vessel and shall not be liable for any loss whatsoever to tour/cruise participants by reason of any such cancellation, advancement, or postponement.
46. Avalon assumes no liability for any loss, damage, or entry of any nature in whole or in part resulting from an Act of God or any other force majeure condition, including without limitation: fire, volcanic eruption, environmental pollution or contamination, inclement weather, earthquake, low or high water levels, flood, water or power shortages or failures, tropical storms or hurricanes, riots or civil commissions or disturbances, and any other acts of a similar nature, sabotage, arrests, strikes or labor disruptions, restraint of rulers or peoples, expropriations, acts of terrorism, war, insurrection, quarantine restrictions, government health advisories or warnings or alerts of any kind of nature, government seizures, refusal or cancellation or suspension or delay of any government authority or any license, permit or authorization, damages to its facilities or the travel supplier and its facilities, or any other unforeseen circumstances or any other factors unforeseen by Avalon that impacts negatively on, or hampers, its ability to fulfill any of its contractual conditions. In the event that any of these conditions apply, Avalon shall be excused, discharged, and released from performance to the extent such performance is so limited or prevented, without liability of any kind.
FREQUENT FLYER & HOTEL REWARD PROGRAMS
47. Frequent Flyer mileage accrual is at the discretion of the airline(s), and is not always granted for airfare purchased through Avalon. You will need to contact the airline(s) directly for information on Frequent Flyer programs and any applicable reward mile accrual. Avalon cannot assist with this process. Cancellation penalties, as noted above, will apply to all airfare, regardless of accrual grants. Take this into consideration before purchasing airfare.
48. Hotel rewards/points cannot be earned or redeemed with hotels used by Avalon.
49. Gratuities are included for services during the land stay of your vacation. This includes wait staff at included meals, hospitality staff at hotels for nights purchased through Avalon, and porterage at hotels for one suitcase per person. Gratuities for your Cruise Director, Local Hosts, Local Guides, driver, and ship’s crew are not included in the vacation price (unless otherwise noted in the specific pricing details) and are discretionary.
HOLIDAYS & SPECIAL EVENTS
50. During local or national holidays or special events, peak seasons, on Sundays, and during religious occasions, certain facilities such as museums, churches, restaurants, sightseeing tours, hotels, and shopping may be limited or not available. Alternatives will be offered whenever possible. Avalon cannot be held responsible for any closures, necessary itinerary changes, or curtails for any reason.
51. Christmas markets generally open on the first week of Advent and close around the third week of December.
HOTELS, ACCOMMODATIONS & TRANSPORTATION
52. The hotels listed on the website or in the brochure are intended to be used on all departures; however, hotels are not guaranteed. Avalon reserves the right to substitute other hotels than those listed on the itinerary pages. If a change becomes necessary for any reason, including alternate hotels for additional departures on the same date, or hotel location changes within or outside itinerary cities, the hotel substituted will be of equivalent quality to those shown. No refunds are provided for hotel changes; full cancellation penalties, as noted above, apply.
53. Avalon contracts twin-bedded rooms. Double-bedded rooms may be requested, but are never guaranteed. Triple rooms are the same size as twin-bedded rooms and are at the discretion of the hotel. Triple rooms will have beds to accommodate three people, but three separate beds cannot be guaranteed. If there are only two beds, a roll-away may be requested but cannot be guaranteed. If available, additional charges may apply for a roll-away and are payable by you directly to the hotel.
54. Single supplements ensure your own room, not necessarily a twin- or double-bedded room. Single rooms in hotels are generally smaller in size and may be less conveniently located.
55. Accommodations outside the United States may not accommodate wheelchairs or be wheelchair accessible. The Americans with Disabilities Act is not applicable outside the United States. See the PASSENGERS WHO NEED SPECIAL ASSISTANCE ON TOUR AND/OR CRUISES clause below.
56. Room and bed preferences are not guaranteed.
57. Check-in times vary worldwide; Avalon cannot control or guarantee check-in times.
58. On cruises, staterooms are subject to change and are finalized upon embarkation.
59. Air-conditioning in hotels is not guaranteed and is dependent upon local and national laws and regulations. Though hotels may have air-conditioning as a listed amenity, the usage of air-conditioning is often not available at night or in the off-season (October–May). Other restrictions may apply. Avalon has no control over air-conditioning restrictions and regulations.
60. In the rare event included train or air services are unavailable, alternate services will be provided. Itinerary timings are approximate, and are subject to change.
61. Some countries may require aircraft cabin insecticide treatment for inbound foreign flights. For more information about aircraft disinfection requirements and a list of countries requiring disinfection of inbound flights, visit https://www.transportation.gov/airconsumer/spray.
MEDICAL & HEALTH
62. No medical personnel is present on board the Avalon vessels. Avalon cannot guarantee the availability of medical facilities or for the quality of the care or services. Any medical attention you require while traveling with Avalon must be sought through a local medical facility, if/when available, for diagnosis. All related charges are at your expense.
63. Avalon reserves the right to remove or quarantine any passenger who show signs of illness, or who poses a threat to the safety and health of other passengers. Removal or quarantine of passengers for any health, safety, or behavior-related assessment is at the sole discretion of Avalon or the Ship’s Operator or the captain. Any costs incurred for medical assessments, diagnosis, and/or any other medically-related charges are your responsibility to pay and are due at time of services. Passengers will be allowed to rejoin Avalon with confirmed medical certification from a licensed health practitioner indicating fitness to travel without causing harm or posing a safety threat to other passengers.
64. Many local laws require the use of seatbelts while traveling. When seatbelts are provided, you are responsible for wearing your seatbelt. Avalon is not liable, nor are our service providers, for any injury, loss, damage, claims, or death resulting from any accident or incident if you were not wearing your seatbelt at the time of the accident or incident when the motorcoach is equipped with them.
NOT INCLUDED IN THE LAND/CRUISE VACATION PRICE
65. The following charges are not included in the land/cruise vacation price, unless otherwise noted: airfare to and from the start of your vacation; intra-vacation air, unless specified in the itinerary; airline baggage fees, including checked and/or excess baggage fees; Federal inspection fees for U.S Immigration & Customs; International Air Transportation tax; agricultural tax; other per person taxes imposed by government entities; airport taxes and fees, including the September 11th Security Fee up to $11.20 per person, passenger facility charges up to $18 per person, Federal domestic flight segment fees up to $4.10 per segment, and U.S. and international arrival and departure and other government-imposed fees added by the airline and applicable at time of booking; port taxes; passports; visas; vaccinations; tips to your Cruise Director, Local Host, driver, Local Guides, and/or ship’s crew (unless otherwise noted in the specific itinerary pricing details); gratuities on ferries, trains, and cruise ships; laundry; telephone; minibar; alcohol, beverages, and food outside of the contracted Avalon menu as presented at a hotel or restaurant or onboard your vessel (these extra items will be billed to you before leaving the hotel, ship, or restaurant); airport transfers on non-qualifying flights; optional excursions; porterage at airports and train stations; Travel Protection; and all other items of a personal nature.
OPTIONAL SHORE EXCURSIONS
66. Optional shore excursions (“the Services”) available for booking are provided by local operators or other third parties that are entirely independent of Avalon and do not form any part of the product or services sold to you by Avalon or of these Terms & Conditions, even where Avalon suggests particular operators/other third parties and/or assists you in booking such optional shore excursions. Your contract for such Services will be with the organizer or operator of that Service, and will be subject to its Terms & Conditions, which may contain exclusions or limitations of liability. Avalon has no liability for any such optional shore excursion or for any act(s) or omission(s) of the organizer or operator or for any of its employees or agents or any other person(s) connected with the optional shore excursion.
67. Any advice or assistance on or with any Service provided by any local representative does not mean or imply that the Service is sold, supervised, or controlled by Avalon, or that any such advice or assistance is given on behalf of Avalon. Vacation participants are asked to check with the operator of any optional shore excursion and the applicable Terms & Conditions before booking.
68. For operational reasons, not all optional shore excursions listed in the cruise itinerary, in print, online, or in Travel Documents may be available during your vacation. Your Cruise Director will advise of availability while on cruise.
69. Optional shore excursions purchased online are subject to the Optional Excursions Terms & Conditions, which can be found on MyAvalonsm.
PASSENGERS WHO NEED SPECIAL ASSISTANCE ON TOUR AND/OR CRUISES
70. You must report to Avalon any disability requiring special attention while on tour or on cruise at the time the reservation is made. Avalon will make reasonable efforts to accommodate the special needs of disabled passengers, but is not responsible in the event it is unable to do so nor responsible for any denial of services by air carriers, hotels, restaurants, or other independent suppliers. Avalon does not provide personal services (such as pushing a wheelchair, assisting with walking, etc.) and Avalon does not provide individual assistance to a vacation participant for walking, dining, getting on and off coaches, cruise ships, and other vehicles, or other personal needs. A qualified and physically-able companion should accompany passengers who need such assistance.
71. If we are not notified at time of reservation of any disability requiring special attention, Avalon reserves the right to cancel your booking or terminate your vacation if your special needs or disabilities are not suitable for the vacation, pose a threat to the health and safety of other participants or personnel on board the vessel, are incompatible with other passengers, or if you are not traveling with a companion who provides all the assistance you require. Avalon will not refund or cover any costs or expenses incurred for cancellation, booking, or termination of the vacation. Cancellation penalties, as above, apply.
72. Not all sightseeing stops/sites accommodate wheelchairs, and some locations and sightseeing activities require extensive standing, sitting, or walking—sometimes on unpaved or cobblestone streets. Avalon will not refund or cover any cost or expense incurred for any missed activities due to a participant’s inability to fully participate with the group. The Americans with Disabilities Act is only applicable within the United States, and facilities for disabled individuals are limited outside its borders. Most transportation services, including the touring motorcoaches and cruise ships, are not equipped with wheelchair ramps. Although some of our ships have elevators, many of our small ships do not. Passengers requiring ship elevators should inquire before making reservations.
73. Most stateroom and bathroom doors as well as restrooms are not wide enough to allow access by standard wheelchairs, and bathrooms and other doorways may be fitted with coamings. Motorized scooters and motorized wheelchairs are not permitted on Avalon cruises. Arrangements cannot be made to carry or use these on tour or cruise and if you bring one, you will be asked to make alternate arrangements for transporting the scooter to your end destination at your expense. Collapsible wheelchairs are permitted on board, but for safety reasons, the number Avalon can accept is limited and wheelchair maximum size must not exceed 1030mm/40.55” length x 555mm/21.85” width. You must notify Avalon at the time of booking of your intention to bring a wheelchair to ensure Avalon can accommodate within safety regulations. Otherwise, you or your wheelchair may not be permitted on board. There is no separate storage for wheelchairs; it must be kept in your stateroom. For safety reasons, passengers in wheelchairs cannot be carried on ramps in ports where the ship is at anchor.
PHOTOGRAPHS & PICTURES
74. Photographs or pictures appearing on this website should be used solely as an indication of facilities and attractions. Actual facilities and attractions may vary according to itinerary. Maps shown on the vacation pages are current at the time of printing and may not reflect the actual routing should the itinerary change.
75. Avalon does not have specialized facilities and/or treatments required for childbirth, prenatal, or early infant care on board its cruise ships, nor may those facilities be available at ports of call or on land stays. Avalon strongly urges pregnant passengers to consider the risks of traveling where necessary medical care for pregnancy may not be available and may not be reachable in a timely manner to address potential medical complications, problems, and emergencies that can occur during pregnancy. Pregnant passengers past their sixth month of pregnancy cannot be accommodated.
76. All vacation prices are based on rates (reflecting foreign exchange rates) known at the time of publication and expected to be in effect at the time of departure, and do not include airfare, except where noted on specific itineraries. Vacation prices are per person, based on double occupancy (two people sharing a room). Single room supplements and triple reductions are listed where applicable. Not all accommodation types are available on all vacations.
77. Prices are subject to change without notice, subject to the guarantees set forth below.
78. Once Avalon has received your full cruise deposit for any cruise vacation, that cruise price is guaranteed and you are protected against any base land or cruise price increase due to currency surcharge. Any subsequent land or cruise cost increases are at Avalon’s expense, not including energy cost increases and/or any government tax increases.
79. Pricing for air-inclusive vacations, including those with intra-vacation air, are guaranteed when Avalon has received your full cruise plus air deposits and/or full air payment, as noted above. Avalon reserves the right to ticket Flex-Air bookings, and vacations with intra-vacation air, upon receipt of full land and air deposits; thus, any subsequent revisions made at your request are subject to airline-imposed change fees, cancellation fees, and/or changes in airfare price, which are your responsibility to pay. Instant Purchase Air is ticketed upon receipt of full air payment; thus, full cancellation fees, as noted above, apply.
80. Any request for refunds is subject to these Terms & Conditions; no refund will be made for unused services, for unused transportation where group activity tickets are involved, or for voluntary modifications made by the passenger. Airport transfers are complimentary with air booked through Avalon on qualifying flights and dates. Not all flights or dates qualify. Customers not using the included transfer will not be given a cash equivalent or vacation price reduction.
REVISIONS & REVISION FEES
81. In addition to any airline-imposed change fees, a fee of $30 per person will be charged by Avalon for any alteration or revision made to a reservation after deposit is received. Any revision to a booking, including but not limited to flight cancellations or name changes, may result in the loss of confirmed airline reservations or increased airfare, which will be payable by you. In many instances for Flex-Air purchases, airline revision or change fees are up to $300, but in some instances may be up to 100% of the ticket price. Instant Purchase Air and associated service fees are non-refundable and non-changeable after 24-hours from purchase; thus, alterations or revisions to a booking with Instant Purchase Air will require new air to be purchased, and is subject to full payment, as above.
82. Intra-vacation air and hotel penalties may also apply to alterations or revisions to a booking, and may be up to 100% of the full price.
83. A change of passenger name, vacation date, or itinerary within final payment will be treated as a full cancellation and new reservation; vacation and airfare cancellation fees, as above, apply.
84. Be aware that during your participation on vacations operated by Avalon, certain risks and dangers may arise beyond our control, including but not limited to: the hazards of traveling in undeveloped areas; travel by boat, train, automobile, aircraft, or other means of transportation; forces of nature; political unrest; acts of lawlessness or terrorism; and accident or illness in remote regions without means of rapid evacuation or medical facilities. Avalon will not have liability regarding provision of medical care or the adequacy of any care that may be rendered. While Avalon will use its best efforts to ensure that adequate measures are taken, by agreeing to participate in a vacation and/or optional excursions, you agree that you will hold Avalon harmless regarding any provision of medical care or the adequacy of any care rendered. Avalon is not responsible for such risks and dangers that may arise beyond our control. Payment of your deposit indicates you accept these risks and dangers and agree to hold Avalon harmless for such.
85. No weapons of any type are permitted on Avalon vacations at any time. This includes, but is not limited to, firearms, knives, mace, brace knuckles, and other weapons of any type.
SERVICE INQUIRIES AFTER THE VACATION
86. As it is difficult and sometimes impossible to properly investigate a complaint if Avalon is not advised of such complaint quickly, any compensation you may have been able to claim could be reduced or even forfeited if you do not follow the complaints procedure set out in this clause.
87. After returning from your vacation, if you wish to inquire about any services provided, ensure that all correspondence relating to those services is received by Avalon, Traveler Services, Group Voyagers, Inc., (see address under “Responsibility”). Any complaint or claim involving the vacation services offered in the Avalon brochure or on the Avalon website involving the negligence of any suppliers, sub- contractors, or agents in relation to any service provided to the vacation participant must be notified to Avalon while on vacation or within 30 days of the vacation completion, except where such time limitations are prohibited by law.
SMOKING & ILLEGAL DRUGS
88. Smoking is not allowed on transportation that is exclusively provided by Avalon. On cruise ships, smoking is restricted to certain areas of the vessel. Smoking includes cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars, e-cigars or any other smoking device.
89. Many hotels, restaurants, and other venues are smoke-free or have non-smoking regulations in public spaces. Smoking may be restricted to certain areas or not allowed. You are responsible to abide by all third-party smoking policies.
90. Hotels may impose a 100% non-smoking policy. If you require a smoking room, a request may be submitted, but we cannot guarantee availability.
91. Any carriage or possession of illegal drugs will result in immediate termination of the Avalon vacation. You are responsible for knowing and observing the licensing laws for drug possession for all countries and states you are visiting. Repatriation is at your expense.
92. Unless otherwise specified, transfers arranged by Avalon are provided by independent transportation suppliers and are group transfers operated by motorcoach and may have pre-set departures times. Avalon is not responsible for flight delays, delays in immigration or customs, delays due to lost baggage, or delays for any reason beyond our control if you miss your transfer. Missed transfers are non-refundable.
93. Passenger Travel Documents, including e-ticket itineraries, are available electronically approximately 2-3 weeks prior to departure, provided full invoice payment, emergency contact details and passport or government issued ID information (when required) has been received. A service charge per reservation is added for documents requested in advance, early air ticketing, and express delivery or for delivery to multiple addresses if printed documents are requested and offered. For printed documents, express delivery with related charges is required for reservations made within 45 days of commencement of services and for delivery outside the continental United States; charges will be quoted at time of reservation.
TRAVELING WITH CHILDREN
94. Due to heightened security, many countries have adopted practices to prevent international abductions of children. If a child will be traveling with adults other than the parents or with only one parent, it is recommended that a notarized letter be written by the parents or non-traveling parent granting authorization to travel, including the dates of travel. We suggest that you also contact the appropriate consulate and airlines, as they may have additional requirements or recommendations.
TSA AIRLINE INFORMATION
95. Under the Secure Flight Program enacted by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) requires airlines to collect information from you for the purposes of Watch List matching. TSA may share information you provide with law enforcement or intelligence agencies or others under its published system of records notice. At time of booking a vacation with air reservations, Avalon will collect the required information and add to your air booking to pass to the airline(s) for the Secure Flight Program. The information includes full name, date of birth, gender, and redress number (if available). Failure to provide the required TSA information at time of booking will result in the loss of confirmed flights and airfare price, as information is required for ticketing. Rebooking lost airfare is subject to schedule availability at time of rebooking and may result in alternate flight schedules and/or increases in airfare price. Any increase in airfare price is payable by you.
96. Acceptance on the vacation is subject to presentation of the Traveler Certificate, which will be available in your final Travel Documents.
VISAS & PASSPORTS
97. It is your responsibility to verify all visa and passport requirements necessary for your vacation. You are responsible for obtaining independently and paying for all visas and entry documents, for meeting all health and other requirements, and for any documents required by the laws, regulations, orders, and/or requirements of the countries you will visit. Avalon cannot accept liability for any passenger refused entry on any transport or into any country due to failure of the passenger to carry correct documentation or adhere to specific entry and exit requirements. All visa information listed on the website, in documents, or in the brochure is for U.S. citizens only. Non-U.S. citizens must consult with appropriate consulates to determine if any visas or other documents are needed.
98. You must have a passport to travel internationally. Most countries require that the passport be valid for at least six (6) months beyond the conclusion of your trip. It is recommended you have a minimum of three blank pages in your passport when traveling. Multiple-entry visas are required for some vacations. The process of obtaining a visa and/or passport can take up to three months or more.
99. Signing of a Liability Release is required on Active Discovery cruises and for the activities that have higher inherent risks. On the first day of the cruise, the Cruise Director will ask you to sign this Liability Release. You can view a copy of the Liability Release by accessing the following link: Avalonwaterways.com/waivers.
100. During the course of your cruise, tour, or excursion, you may encounter the opportunity to participate in additional, optional activities that are provided by independent third-party suppliers. The suppliers of those optional services may render those services subject to separate and additional terms and conditions, or may require you to execute additional documents, waivers, or releases. It is understood that any assumptions of liability, waivers, or releases that are part of the suppliers’ terms and conditions or that are required by those independent suppliers will also inure to the benefit of Group Voyagers Inc., Avalon Waterways, Globus, and Monograms.
101. Wi-Fi connectivity is provided by independent third parties with separate Terms & Conditions of usage and acceptance thereof. These can be found online or will be made available upon request. Wi-Fi connectivity is not always guaranteed, and may be disrupted, unavailable, and slower on board than you are accustomed.
102. Group Voyagers, Inc., located at 5301 South Federal Circle, Littleton, Colorado 80123, is an independent company (“the Company”) licensed to market and distribute travel products under the Avalon Waterways, Globus, Cosmos, and Monograms brand names, and arrange for the vacation services offered on this website, including transportation, sightseeing, and accommodations through independent contracts.
103. Air carriers, accommodations, and other suppliers (including but not limited to trains, cruises, ferries, motorcoaches, hotels, and restaurants) providing services are independent contractors and are not agents, employees, servants, or joint venturers of the Company or its affiliates. From time-to-time, and for the purpose of identifying those independent third-party suppliers of services as the provider of a component or part of an Avalon cruise, package or tour, some or all of those entities may utilize the name “Avalon” on promotional media, signage, or attire. Although you may see the name “Avalon” on vehicles, signs, apparel, or elsewhere during your cruise, tour, or excursion, its use by third-party suppliers is solely for the purpose of identification and does not represent or signify in any way ownership, management, supervision, or control by the Company of services that are provided by independent third party suppliers or of the employees, servants, or agents of the third-party suppliers. All certificates and other Travel Documents for services issued by the Company are subject to the Terms & Conditions specified by the supplier, which are available upon request, and to the laws of the countries in which the services are supplied.
104. The international carriage of passengers is subject to international conventions and treaties, where applicable. These international agreements limit and, in some events, exclude the carrier’s liability to passengers (vacation participants). Where any claim or part of a claim (including those involving death or personal injury) concerns or involves any travel arrangements (including the process of getting on or off the transport concerned) provided by any air, sea, inland waterways, rail or road carrier, or any stay in a hotel, the Company’s maximum liability is the maximum that would be payable by the carrier or the hotel keeper concerned under the applicable international convention, treaty, or regulation applicable to the travel arrangements or hotel stay (e.g., the Warsaw Convention, the Montréal Convention for international travel by air, the EU Regulation on Air Carrier Liability for air carriers with an operating license granted by an EU country, the Athens Convention for international travel by sea) in that situation.
105. After departure, if the Services included in the vacation cannot be supplied or there are changes in an itinerary for reasons beyond the control of the Company, depending on the circumstance, the Company will take reasonable action to arrange for the provision of comparable services. Any resulting additional expense will be the responsibility of vacation participants, and any resulting savings will be refunded by the Company to vacation participants.
106. The Company reserves the right to accept or reject any person as a vacation participant; to expel any participant from the vacation; to make changes in the itinerary whenever the Company deems it necessary for the comfort, convenience, or safety of the participants; and to cancel a vacation at any time.
107. The vacation participant agrees that neither the Company nor its affiliates shall be liable for any damage, loss (including personal injury, death, and property loss), or expense occasioned by any act or omission of any supplier providing services, any insurer or insurance administrator under the Travel Protection plan, or any other person.
108. Any dispute between the vacation participant and the Company, directly or indirectly relating to the Terms & Conditions and/or to the vacation undertaken, shall be first submitted to mediation in Denver, Colorado, before a mediator mutually agreed to by the parties. If mediation is not successful, then the dispute shall be resolved by a binding arbitration under Colorado law before the Judicial Arbiter Group or its successor located at 1601 Blake Street, Denver, Colorado 80202.
109. Arbitration against the Company or the vacation participant shall be invoked in writing under the laws of the State of Colorado within a period of 12 months following the date of completion of the vacation and not later. Neither of the parties nor any affiliate of the Company shall in any case be liable for other than compensatory damages, and they hereby waive any right to claim punitive damages. Colorado law governs this contract and all arbitration or other proceedings arising out of or related to this agreement. The prevailing party shall be entitled to an award of costs and reasonable attorneys’ fees.
110. Any action to enforce the arbitrator’s decision shall be brought only and exclusively in the state or federal courts in the State of Colorado, USA.
111. No person, other than an authorized representative of the Company by a document in writing, is authorized to vary, add, or waive any term or condition on its brochure or website, including any term or condition set forth in the preceding provisions.
112. As a passenger on board an Avalon river cruise, you are also subject to the Terms & Conditions of the Carrier. Carrier Terms & Conditions are available for each Avalon ship upon request or on the AvalonWaterways.com website.
113. AVALON WATERWAYS, and other AVALON formative marks, are trademarks and servicemarks owned and/or applied for and/or registered by Avalon Waterways, Inc., in the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office and in other global jurisdictions. Group Voyagers, Inc., is an authorized user of the trademark and servicemark AVALON WATERWAYS and other AVALON formative marks, owned by Avalon Waterways, Inc.